Friday 9 August 2013

Things in my kitchen

Geez, we had a real thunderstorm here in Helsinki last night. I woke up to the sound of a lightning that must have hit something really close to our house. And the sky just kept on flashing, like if it had discolights. But today is a new day, and hopefully we'll see some sun again.

Anyway, this is a small project I made to try to use up some of my stash:


My kitchen stools needed some soft covers and I happened to have 1,5 skeins left of this beautiful red yarn. The colour fits our kitchen perfectly. And I don't remember when I've made such a fast and brainless project the last time. I mean, thick yarn combined with crocheting in a circle, without any fuss. Can it be more simple?


Pattern: from my head
Hook: 8 mm
Yarn: Phildar Ondiaflamme
 
The only thing I have to redo is the straps holding the covers to the stools. The yarn itself stretches too much, so I'll have to come up with something else to hold them in place.



One other thing I like doing (apart from organizing my yarn) is to put everyting in order in my teabox. I bought this beautiful wooden teabox in London a few years back and I always try to keep a nice and diverse assortment of teas inside it. Then I also have a lot of loos leaf tea that lives on an open shelf just next to our tiny kitchen table. The small beautiful turquoise teatins are from London, too.


Last but not least, we've had some herbs on the windowsill this summer. (Guarded by some tiny moomin characters...). And since our basil was getting quite big, we had to come up with something to do with it. The result was a delicious basil oil.


I forgot to take a picture of it right away, but here's a picture of the bottle almost empty. I really recommend this oil. It's great as a salad dressing but also for frying or grilling vegetables. Yummy yum, I'll definitely make more of this!


If you want to try it, here's what I did:

1 basil plant
1,5-2 dl olive oil (just enough to cover the leaves)
1 clove of garlic
some salt and pepper

Mix them all together in a blender and it's ready to be served!

2 comments:

  1. The oil looks yummy, and a great way to use up spare herbs! How long do you think it would keep in a bottle like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it was yummy :) I had it in my fridge for two weeks and it was still fine, although it had started to turn a little bit thicker. But the taste was still excellent. I think I could even have kept it for a few more weeks. Hope you'll get around trying it!

    ReplyDelete